The New Horizons spacecraft is “waking up” from standby mode to take pictures of Pluto, now a planet. It has travelled close to 3 billion miles to get to where it is now. It will begin its probing January 15, 2015.
This morning a new update for the SMS app appeared on the Google Play store. The update finally brings material design also with tons of new colors and animations that make the app a pleasure to use as your default SMS app. Google has also added a few new features to the app such as the ability to block people, rapid photo sharing and full emoji support. You will be able to download the app on any device running android 4.1 and above. I have been using the app as my default SMS app for awhile and my initial impressions are pretty good. The only complaints I have pretty minor. For example I don’t like that it won’t display the time the message was sent and some of the colors the app picks by default for each contact can sometimes be kinda weird but overall its a pleasant experience.
Nexus 6; Specs
Base Price from Google PlayStore: $649
OS- Android 5.0 Lollipop
Screen: 5.96″2560×1440 QHD AMOLED display (493 ppi)
16:9 Aspect Ratio
Gorilla Glass 3; Same as the Motorola Turbo
Camera: Rear Camera
13MP with optical image stabilisation
Dual LED Ring Flash
4K Video Capture at 30 FPS
Front Facing Camera:
HD Video Conferencing
Size: 82.98 mm x 159.26mm x 10.06 mm
Weight: 184 Grams
Color: Midnight Blue, Cloud White
Channels: GSM, CDMA,WCDMA,LTE,CA DL
Audio: Dual Front-Facing Speakers
CPU: Quad core Krait 450 CPU 2.7 GHz (Qualcomm SnapDragon 805 SOC)
GPU: Adreno 420
Wireless: 802.11 ac 2 X 2 (MIMO)
Ports: Micro USB 2.0
3.5 mm Audio
Battery: 3,220 mAh
Talk: 24 Hours
Standby: 300 Hours
Internet Use: 8.5 Hours, (WIFI) 7 Hours (LTE)
Wireless Charging (Built In)
Turbo Charger gives up 6+ hours with 15 Minutes Charging Session
The Motorola Droid Turbo.
Display: A 5.2 ich Quad HD (2560X1440) 565 ppi, Gorilla Glass 3
Processor: Snapdragon 805 quad core, 2.7 Ghz, Adreno 420 GPU
OS: 4.4.4 KitKat (Lollipop Update Soon)
Storage: 32/64 Gigs
RAM: 3 GB
Size: Ballistic Nylon: 73.3 x143.5 mm, Curve is 8.3 – 11.2 mm
Metalized Fiber: 73.3 x 143.5mm, Cuve is 7.8-10.6 mm
Weight: Ballistic Nylon: 176 grams
Metalized Fiber: 169 Grams
Networks: LTE. CDMA/EVDO. Rev A. GSM/EDGE, Global Mode
Design Selections: Metalized Glass Fiber
Color Selection: Metallic Red, Metallic Black
Battery: 3,900 mAh, Up to 48 hours;
* 15 minutes of charging gets 8 hours of use (Requires Turbo Charger in Box)
* Wireless Charging Capable
Camera: 21 MP Rear in 4:3. 15.5MP in 16.9: f/2.0, 4K video and dual LED Flash
Moto Software: Moto voice, Moto Actions. Moto Display. Motorola Migrate. Droid Zap.
Highlight Reel. EAC, Quick Office. Zap Zone. Zap 2 TV. Zap with Voice.
Apple will soon release the first major update to iOS 8, iOS 8.1. This update will introduce some new useful features such as the much anticipated Apple pay, but it will also patch some exploits and loopholes which some third party developers are currently taking advantage of. One of these loopholes allowed iOS users to run emulators on their phones to play old console games. The loophole in question consists of changing the date on your device to the previous day, downloading the app from Safari and then changing your date back again.
List of new features on the upcoming updates for Apple and Android devices.
Apple iOS 8 -
- Apple iOS 8 – A total overhaul of the existing iOS 7 update from last fall
- To create their own cloud service for documents (iCloud Drive). Ex. “Google Drive”
- Finally bringing third party keyboards to iOS 8 . (Swype and swiftKey)
- All Photos now live in your iCloud Photo Library
- Messages that would self destruct on its own . That is basically a copy of snapchat.
- Interactive Notifications. (Respond to text from iOS 8, Facebook Banner, Event Invitation “Accept or Decline,” Shortcuts to Favorite and Recent contacts.)
- Safari copying Chrome with viewing all tabs in one page
- Health – Fitness app to monitor your heart rate monitor, calories burned
- Switching devices being able to finish one email on all devices.
- Spotlight- Now gives Wikipedia Entry, Nearby Places, trending news
- Icon Change
- Overhaul of Kit Kat UI Design – Changes of the App icons
- There are now animations for almost any action you take.
- Return button is now a triangle pointing to the left
- Home Button- Circle
- Multitask- now looks similar to the tabs view in Chrome.
- DialPad- Changes to Kit Kat DialPad, Dialpad pops up when you press the blue button on the bottom right hand corner.
- Contacts- More intuitive easier navigation to a certain contact.
- Keyboard- A more flat Keyboard as like in iOS 7 Keyboard, A wider keyboard for users with bigger fingers to use easier.
- Settings App- Becomes more intuitive than Kit Kat with a more organized looking tabs. (It also now comes with a search function)
- Volume – Pop up on-screen slider to turn on “Do Not Disturb,”
- Calendar app- Becomes a more organized by color for events in a list.
Team win recovery project’s custom recovery now has official support for all the current android wear smart watches: the Samsung gear live and the LG G watch. Now owners of these two watches will be able to flash custom ROMs, make nandroid backups and much more. Even though currently there aren’t many ROMs available for the two watches….
TWRP is one of the most popular custom recoveries available on android it’s widely used in the modding community to install third-party firmware like cyanogen mod and paranoid android onto android devices. Just cause TWRP has arrived on wear doesn’t mean it is completely stable. For instance, it isn’t optimized for android wear’s small screens (seen in the photo above) and I can’t even begin to imagine how it will fit on wear watches with circular displays like the Moto 360.
On Monday Facebook said that if users want to chat on Facebook they’ll have to do it through the standalone Facebook messenger app. Facebook first released messenger in selected European countries in April but since then it has spread throughout the world. Now, when users try to send a message using the Facebook app they will be prompted to download messenger if they haven’t already installed. According to Facebook currently 200 million people use their messenger app every month. Facebook also said that messenger is much faster than the Facebook app about 20% faster. The Facebook messenger app is currently available for both android, iOS and even windows phone.
Dinosaur extinction could have just been really, really bad luck. The 6.2-mile-wide Chicxulub asteroid may have caused the mass extinction. “The asteroid almost certainly did it, but it just so happened to hit at a bad time when dinosaur ecosystems had been weakened by a loss of diversity. If the asteroid hit a few million years earlier, when dinosaurs were more diverse, or a few million years later, when they had a chance to recover as they often had done before after diversity losses, then dinosaurs probably wouldn’t have gone extinct,” said University of Edinburgh vertebrate paleontologist and evolutionary biologist Stephen Brusatte.
Google currently is rolling out a new update for Google Chrome beta for android. The new update brings with it a simplified signing process and some new design elements which resemble google’s material design language.
The new sign in process will automatically sign you into all Google related apps and services like Google plus, maps and even YouTube. The new build also contains lots of bug fixes and performance improvements you can download Google Chrome Beta from the play store or download the APK online.